Ten years, ten questions: celebrating my Red Devils anniversary
Last Monday, I celebrated my 10th anniversary of playing for the national team. Answering these ten questions, I’ll share my best moments from the last ten years. Enjoy!
- Do you remember your first time playing for your country?
I do, very clearly. My first match was a friendly against France. I was 19 years old, and standing alongside some of the biggest stars at the kick-off felt truly unreal. Finishing with 0-0 made this debut extra special.
- What was your favourite match and why?
That’s a tough question; there are a lot! If I have to choose just one, it’s the 2018 World Cup against Brazil. I made one save after the other and managed to stop a decisive ball from Neymar in the final minutes. We made it through to the semi-finals!
- Which player on the national team do you admire most?
That would be Romelu (Lukaku). It has not always been easy for him, but he has never given up on his dreams. As a team player and a scorer, he is vital to our team.
- What is so typical about the Belgian fans?
They’re a solid front behind the team and support us, no matter what. Whether we play at home or abroad, they are right there with us. It’s always a pleasure to see how the whole country gets involved and anticipates the big games as much as we do.
- What is your favourite after-match snack?
If I can go all out, I'd pick a 'frikandel' sausage with french fries.
- What do you miss most about Spain when you are in Belgium?
Next to my family, the nice weather. Even in November, the sun shines and the temperature is still pleasant.
- What makes the Belgian team a strong opponent?
Our team has immense quality and experience. After playing together for so many years, we know each other very well and can use that to our advantage on the field.
- How has the image of the Belgian team changed over the past ten years?
Ten years ago, it was very hard for us to face the top teams. Now, we are considered one of them and can triumph over any competitor. Internationally, all players know Belgium is a team to watch. That didn’t use to be the case.
- Pick one moment with the Red Devils that will always stay with you.
Representing your country on a world level is what every player aims for. Our first qualification for the World Cup in 2013 against Croatia made that dream come true for me.
- What are your hopes for the future?
Now that we have qualified for the World Cup again, I hope 2022 will be the year to bring home this trophy.
Thank you for reading,